Museums - Lima Museums
Lima Museums - Peru
"In Peru, although it is
true that the number of visitors to museums
cannot be considered massive yet-as may occur in other parts of
the world-the figures do indicate that there is a growing interest in Peru museums and that the growth trend will continue.
"Thirty years ago,
for example, the Museum of Anthropology and
Archeology of Pueblo Libre received a thousand visits a year; now it
receives 10.550 visitors monthly."
Instituto Nacional de Cultura
- Museo Nacional de Antropologia, Arqueologia e
- Plaza Bolivar (no number), Pueblo Libre
- Tel: 463-5070
- Hours: Tuesday through Sunday from 9:30 a.m. to
- What: Exhibition of prehispanic objects and
master works of the cultures of ancient Peru. Here you can see such
famous objects as the Estela de Raimondi, the Tello Obelisk, the famous
huaco-portraits, funerary bundles, pre-Inca textiles and metallurgy.
- Museo de Arte
- Paseo Colon 125, Lima 1, Peru.
- Tel (01) 423 4732.
- Website: http://museoarte.perucultural.org.pe.
- Interesting collection of ceramics, textiles, stone,
organic material and skeletal remains of Peruvian pre-Hispanic
Painting and colonial furniture. Pictures of the
Institute of Contemporary Art. Library. Film. Workshop on conservation
- Museo de la Nacion
- Av. Javier Prado Este 2465, San Borja
- Tel: 475-9875.
- Hours: Tuesday through Sunday from 10:00 a.m.
to 5:00 p.m.
- What: Archaeology and cultural anthropology in permanent
collections. It has a temporary exhibition hall devoted to contemporary
- Museo Arqueologico Rafael Larco Herrera
- Avenida Bolivar 1515, Pueblo Libre, Lima 21, Peru.
- Tel (01) 461 1312 / 461 1835.
- Website: http://www.museolarco.org
- Hours: Every day including Sundays and holidays
from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- A sizeable gold collection of all Peruvian cultures, not only in northern Peru, silver, ceramics, textiles,
stone, wood and other objects of pre-Columbian cultures. Erotic
- Museo Amano Calle Retiro 160, Miraflores
- Tel: 441-2909
- Hours: Monday through Friday by appointment.
- What: Displays important collection of archaeological
objects from the central coast. Unique pieces of art, Chancay textiles,
- Museo del Banco Central de Reserva
- Jr. Ucayali 125, Lima
- Tel: 427-6250
- Hours: Tuesday to Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.;
Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- What: Peruvian Art Gallery of the nineteenth and
twentieth century; complete collection of coins from the sixteenth
century, ceramics and metal pieces from the collection Vicús Seminar.
- Museo de oro del Perú y Armas del Mundo ( Lima Museums )
- Alonso de Molina 1100, Monterrico, Surco
- Tel: 435-0791
- Hours: Monday to Sunday from 12 to 19 hrs.
- What: Displays of textiles, gold, silver and precious
stones from pre-Hispanic cultures and weapons of various ages, some
three thousand years old.
"In our country, on-site museums are
particularly important: they show objects in the same context they were
created and used, thereby enhancing our understanding and
interpretation of history."
~ Peru's Instituto Nacional de Cultura
- Museo de la Cultura Peruana
- Av. Alfonso Ugarte 650, Lima, Peru
- Phone: 423-5892
- Attention: Monday to Saturday from 10 to 17 hrs.
- What: It displays a rich collection of folk art from
pre-Columbian times to the present: Pottery, imagery, silverware and
- Museo de Arqueologia Josefina Larco de Cox del Instituto
Riva Agüero de la Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Perú. (Lima Museums)
- Jr. de la Union 554, Lima, Peru
- Tel: 427-4961
- Museo Religioso de la Catedral de Lima
- Plaza Mayor de Lima, Lima 1, Peru.
- Telefonos (01) 427 5980 / 427 9647.
- Exhibition of liturgical objects. Also paintings and
sculptures of the sixteenth century religious art. A room with
paintings of the Italian school of the brothers Vassano. In addition,
the remains of the conquistador Francisco
- Museo de Arqueologia y Antropologia, y de Arte e Historia
de la Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos
- Av. Nicolás de Pierola 1245, Lima, Peru
- Tel: 427-7699 - 427-8155 - 427-4870
- Museo Postal y Filatelico de la Direccion General de
- Jiron Conde de Superunda 170, Lima 1, Peru.
- Telefono (01) 428 7931.
- Collection of stamps and seals of Peru and the world.
"In all of Peru, there are 29 active site museums, the most popular
being the Pachacamac (south of Lima) and the Chan Chan (Trujillo)."
~ Peru's Instituto Nacional de Cultura
See Also: Hotels in Lima, Peru
contact us for any comments, errors, or changes in the list of these
Return to Peru Museums from Lima Museums
Inside-Peru Home Page
Travelers' News Peru
Cost of Living in Peru
Keep Up To Date, With Most Recent Pages
Feb 05, 2018
Peruvian Road and Accident Insurance Tax
Vehicle Accident Insurance in Peru Question from Kudzai: Hello, I would like to know if Peru has mandatory road(car license) tax as well as car insurance
Continue reading "Peruvian Road and Accident Insurance Tax"
Jan 15, 2018
What is the Peruvian Inti worth today?
I have a bill with face value of 1,000,000 Intis. How much is it worth? Answer from David at Inside-Peru.com: A visitor to our Facebook page, InsidePeruTravel
Continue reading "What is the Peruvian Inti worth today?"
Sep 25, 2017
Francisco Pizarro Biography
Francisco Pizarro Biography - During the course of his life, he was to bring the mighty Inca Empire to its demise, establish the foothold of Spain in Peru, and
Continue reading "Francisco Pizarro Biography"
Sep 03, 2017
Marcahuamachuco, Peru - Immense and Intriguing Ruins of a Forgotten City
Don't Tell Anyone About Marcahuamachuco - these monumental remains at Marcahuamachuco remain a mystery. Who built them and why?
Continue reading "Marcahuamachuco, Peru - Immense and Intriguing Ruins of a Forgotten City"
Aug 04, 2017
Tiradito de Pescado or Ceviche?
~ question about Peru foods submitted by Jann Hello sweet people who are answering questions about Peru. When I was there a few years ago, I took this
Continue reading "Tiradito de Pescado or Ceviche?"
Aug 04, 2017
Are there native floating islands on the Peru side of Lake Titicaca?
Question If there are no natives on floating islands on the Peru side,is a passport needed to cross into Bolivia if staying only on the water as a tourist?
Continue reading "Are there native floating islands on the Peru side of Lake Titicaca?"
Aug 01, 2017
Hey everybody, My Dell Laptop is broke and I need someone that can fix it as soon as possible? Can anyone of you recommend a computer specialist in
Continue reading "Computer Service/repair"
Jul 28, 2017
How would you describe the typical Brazilian guy?
There are a lot of Brazilians here in Canada. At work there is one that is interesting and likable. But I don't know much about his culture and
Continue reading "How would you describe the typical Brazilian guy?"