Museums - Lima Museums
Lima Museums - Peru
"In Peru, although it is
true that the number of visitors to museums
cannot be considered massive yet-as may occur in other parts of
the world-the figures do indicate that there is a growing interest in Peru museums and that the growth trend will continue.
"Thirty years ago,
for example, the Museum of Anthropology and
Archeology of Pueblo Libre received a thousand visits a year; now it
receives 10.550 visitors monthly."
Instituto Nacional de Cultura
- Museo Nacional de Antropologia, Arqueologia e
- Plaza Bolivar (no number), Pueblo Libre
- Tel: 463-5070
- Hours: Tuesday through Sunday from 9:30 a.m. to
- What: Exhibition of prehispanic objects and
master works of the cultures of ancient Peru. Here you can see such
famous objects as the Estela de Raimondi, the Tello Obelisk, the famous
huaco-portraits, funerary bundles, pre-Inca textiles and metallurgy.
- Museo de Arte
- Paseo Colon 125, Lima 1, Peru.
- Tel (01) 423 4732.
- Website: http://museoarte.perucultural.org.pe.
- Interesting collection of ceramics, textiles, stone,
organic material and skeletal remains of Peruvian pre-Hispanic
Painting and colonial furniture. Pictures of the
Institute of Contemporary Art. Library. Film. Workshop on conservation
- Museo de la Nacion
- Av. Javier Prado Este 2465, San Borja
- Tel: 475-9875.
- Hours: Tuesday through Sunday from 10:00 a.m.
to 5:00 p.m.
- What: Archaeology and cultural anthropology in permanent
collections. It has a temporary exhibition hall devoted to contemporary
- Museo Arqueologico Rafael Larco Herrera
- Avenida Bolivar 1515, Pueblo Libre, Lima 21, Peru.
- Tel (01) 461 1312 / 461 1835.
- Website: http://www.museolarco.org
- Hours: Every day including Sundays and holidays
from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- A sizeable gold collection of all Peruvian cultures, not only in northern Peru, silver, ceramics, textiles,
stone, wood and other objects of pre-Columbian cultures. Erotic
- Museo Amano Calle Retiro 160, Miraflores
- Tel: 441-2909
- Hours: Monday through Friday by appointment.
- What: Displays important collection of archaeological
objects from the central coast. Unique pieces of art, Chancay textiles,
- Museo del Banco Central de Reserva
- Jr. Ucayali 125, Lima
- Tel: 427-6250
- Hours: Tuesday to Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.;
Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- What: Peruvian Art Gallery of the nineteenth and
twentieth century; complete collection of coins from the sixteenth
century, ceramics and metal pieces from the collection Vicús Seminar.
- Museo de oro del Perú y Armas del Mundo ( Lima Museums )
- Alonso de Molina 1100, Monterrico, Surco
- Tel: 435-0791
- Hours: Monday to Sunday from 12 to 19 hrs.
- What: Displays of textiles, gold, silver and precious
stones from pre-Hispanic cultures and weapons of various ages, some
three thousand years old.
"In our country, on-site museums are
particularly important: they show objects in the same context they were
created and used, thereby enhancing our understanding and
interpretation of history."
~ Peru's Instituto Nacional de Cultura
- Museo de la Cultura Peruana
- Av. Alfonso Ugarte 650, Lima, Peru
- Phone: 423-5892
- Attention: Monday to Saturday from 10 to 17 hrs.
- What: It displays a rich collection of folk art from
pre-Columbian times to the present: Pottery, imagery, silverware and
- Museo de Arqueologia Josefina Larco de Cox del Instituto
Riva Agüero de la Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Perú. (Lima Museums)
- Jr. de la Union 554, Lima, Peru
- Tel: 427-4961
- Museo Religioso de la Catedral de Lima
- Plaza Mayor de Lima, Lima 1, Peru.
- Telefonos (01) 427 5980 / 427 9647.
- Exhibition of liturgical objects. Also paintings and
sculptures of the sixteenth century religious art. A room with
paintings of the Italian school of the brothers Vassano. In addition,
the remains of the conquistador Francisco
- Museo de Arqueologia y Antropologia, y de Arte e Historia
de la Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos
- Av. Nicolás de Pierola 1245, Lima, Peru
- Tel: 427-7699 - 427-8155 - 427-4870
- Museo Postal y Filatelico de la Direccion General de
- Jiron Conde de Superunda 170, Lima 1, Peru.
- Telefono (01) 428 7931.
- Collection of stamps and seals of Peru and the world.
"In all of Peru, there are 29 active site museums, the most popular
being the Pachacamac (south of Lima) and the Chan Chan (Trujillo)."
~ Peru's Instituto Nacional de Cultura
See Also: Hotels in Lima, Peru
contact us for any comments, errors, or changes in the list of these
Return to Peru Museums from Lima Museums
Inside-Peru Home Page
Travelers' News Peru
Cost of Living in Peru
Keep Up To Date, With Most Recent Pages
May 04, 2017
Books About Peru
Books about Peru by category - Travel, Food, Culture, History, Fiction, and more
Continue reading "Books About Peru"
May 01, 2017
Detailed Gold Artifacts Found in Cajamarca
Apr 19, 2017
Peru Attractions and Tours
Extensive list of 100s of Peru attractions by area - example, North Coast, South Mountains, Jungle Region
Continue reading "Peru Attractions and Tours"
Mar 26, 2017
Weather Conditions in Cusco and Machu Picchu Area - Mar 26 2017
Weather conditions in Cusco, Machu Picchu, and Peru's southern areas?
March 26, 2017 We live far to the north where there is lots of flooding. In the south of Peru sources indicate that tourism continues normally.
According to PROMPERU (the official gov’t site), tourism destinations in the south including Cusco, Arequipa, Puno and Madre de Dios, have not been affected,.
“The tourist activity in these regions are developing as usual with hotels, tourist services, airports and access to tourist attractions,” according to the statement.
We’re sorry that’s all the info we have, but it sounds pretty good for you to go.
Enjoy and take plenty of photos!
David and Lin at Inside-Peru.com
Mar 16, 2017
SEVERE WEATHER ALERT PERU - 2017 Mar 16
2017, 16 March SEVERE WEATHER ALERT ALL OF PERU - the whole country is under alert for severe flooding. The most affected at this point is the coast. Most bus routes have been affected. Transportation to many areas of the coast of Peru is limited or nonexistent.
Probably the must urgent condition is water. The supply of water could be cut off anywhere along the coast at any time due to breakages in the pipes.
Internet connections have been experiencing some outages in generalized areas.
LOCAL - Here in Huanchaco and surrounding areas of La Libertad, all schools are closed. There was no bus service last night from Huanchaco to Trujillo. Huanchaco has not had severe rains but there is damage with old roofs collapsing. Our favorite restaurant 3 blocks from us was closed yesterday due to portions of the roof collapsing. Since it "never" rains here, nobody has ever maintained their roofs, so just a little rain causes a lot of damage.
See Mudslides and Rescues in Peru
Mar 10, 2017
Peruvian food has achieved fame through culinary magazines and travel magazines. The Peruvians have perfected the preparation of many different kinds of foods including
Continue reading "Peruvian Food"
Mar 09, 2017
Peruvian Hat | Alpaca Hats | The Chullo
Peruvian Hat - In the classic tourist photos of Machu Picchu, Titicaca, and the high Andes Mountains, what is the favored headgear? The " chullo," of course!
Continue reading "Peruvian Hat | Alpaca Hats | The Chullo"